Monday, October 25, 2010

Remembering SGT Joshua Brennan, KIA 26 October 2007 During Operation Rock Avalance - Afghanistan

Mike Brennan, Gold Star father of SGT Josh Brennan, has become a treasured friend of mine.  Actually Mike, his wife, Michelle, their daughters, his sister and brothers and all of their family members are very special friends.  They are all so amazing, caring, thoughful and positive.  I am so fortunate to have them in my life.  Sadly the circumstances surrounding why they are in my life aren't so "happy."  I came to know Mike, and his family, after Josh died of wounds sustained on 25 October 2007.

I've been struggling the past few days trying to write a memorial post about Josh on this, the third anniversary of his death in Afghanistan.  No matter what I wrote it just didn't seem to be enough or right.

This morning I opened my email and found the following email from Mike:

Leta,


I was just thinking about Josh on this anniversary date of when he was shot and Hugo was killed. I had to watch this video again of Janice singing "When Heaven Was Needing A Hero". Although hard to watch she did such a wonderful job and that song has gone through my head almost every day since Josh was killed. I don't know if you know the story but Janice sent that song to Josh to comfort him when Matthew Blaskowski was killed and he was feeling down. Than a month later it was the theme song for his own funeral. If you post anything tomorrow would you please attach this video for people to watch as a tribute to Josh's life. Thanks again for always being there as such a great friend.


Mike

I am honored to post this video Mike.  I have had Josh, you all and Janice on my mind so much the past few days.  You inspire me EVERY day with your strength and positive committment to keep Josh's memory alive. I love you dearly and wish like hell Josh was here.  THANK YOU for raising such an amazing young man.  He made a difference in so many lives and was loved by more than most ever hope to be.

Rest in Peace Josh always knowing how much you are missed, loved and honored by your family, battle buddies and friends.



I wrote this post last year on the anniversary of Josh's death.  There are some wonderful photos of Josh over there along with a video tribute to him set to the same song as his mother sang in the video above.  The video at the link above was done for Josh's funeral service.  Please take the time to go to last year's post and read it.  Most of all please keep Josh, his family, battle buddies and friends in your prayers.

1 comment:

Coffeypot said...

Wow! Such a gracious lady, and the hurt and pride is showing. I have to admit I choked up some. But it's easy to see how he was such a great guy. Thanks!